KOTM: Alpine Butterfly Loop
Knot of the Month - Alpine Butterfly Loop
Also known as Lineman’s Loop
The Alpine Butterfly is a strong loop that can be tied on a bight. The loop does not roll to either side as a figure 8 would, making it more stable when you need a loop along a length of rope. Tension can be equal on either end of the rope and it is fairly easy to untie. The Alpine Butterfly Loop is also a way to temporarily secure a weak or damaged section of rope.
- Wrap the rope around your hand twice.
- At the end of turn one, position the rope close to your fingertips.
- Continue around and complete turn two back near your thumb. Pick up the turn near your fingertips.
- Wrap it around the other two turns.
- Slide the knot off your hand and tighten by pulling on the loop and the ends.